Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Classroom

I love returning to school in August rested, refreshed and ready to decorate.  This year was no exception.  Over the summer I found many “treasures”.  Ok, so they weren’t treasures at first. My neighbor set a table out for donation pick-up after a garage sale she had.  You could tell it had many years and several kid projects all over it, but it was a free table none the less.  I asked if I could have it for my classroom and she quickly said yes!  I hauled the large round beast across the street and made my way to the paint store.  I found the perfect shade of turquoise and of course the ever famous, chalk paint.  I worked for several days, sanding, painting, and lots of touch-ups until I had the perfect classroom table.  Now, where were the kids to sit while working on my masterpiece?  A few days later I happen to take my son to a friends house to go swimming and low and behold a garage sale!  As we walked passed on our way to the pool, I saw the perfect chairs for my new table.  The owner made me a good deal and they were mine.  Again, I spent hours sanding, painting, and lots of touch-ups until they matched the table.  The legs of the chairs were a little unstable so my wonderful husband generously helped me secure them in place so that they would be safe for the kids.  I also found a coffee table that had seen better days and again painted it to match as well.  I couldn’t wait to take them all to school and set up my room.  I had decorated my room several times in my head and once at school, everything fit perfectly in their new homes.  Once in place, I could decorate the walls and put up bulletin boards.  I put up my Boggle board, (which we call scramble like the app), my Twitter board that the kids use to reflect on their day, and of course my whole brain teaching rules.  My room was complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment